Up-grading your software can be a tricky thing at the best of times, and when you rely on certain software to earn a living it’s crucial that your software is always working as you expect and need it to. This does not necessarily always mean the latest version!
I recently discovered (the hard way, with client in attendance-of course) an issue with the version of Pro Tools 10 I was using at the time. We had to move a project we were mixing to a different computer due to plug-in authorisations going wrong. (A whole different topic!)
When we got the project running on the new system in the same room, it sounded completely different to how it was sounding the night before on the previous system! I tore my hair out having to re-mix the track before I realised it was because a couple of buss plugins in my multi mix buss and parallel compression setup had completely changed to different plug-ins, on their own!
Thankfully the client’s pretty chilled.. But it was a good 3 hours down the drain!
I’d recently started to run my stereo plug-ins as un-linked dual mono to give a different sense of stereo width, and it turns out that if you load a session in PT v10.0-10.1 and any plugins inserted in the session previously are of the unlinked dual or multi mono variety, they most likely will load as a *completely different* plugin!!